Sunday 23 February 2020

What was the most satisfying moment of your life as an adult which you want to share with everyone? -Anonymous .


I am 40 plus male. Married with two kids. Other day, one of my colleagues suddenly announced that he is going to celebrate his son’s selection into Amazon as software engineer, by giving booze party to close friends same day in the evening. I rang up my wife and told her about the event and that I will be late from Office and told her not to wait for me for dinner. I left my car in the office parking space for the night as I don’t want to get caught by the police for drunken drive. Five of us including the host reached a popular Bar & Restaurant in Begumpet area and enjoyed our drinks and chit-chatting. When the time was about 10.30, we closed the sessions and I took the metro rail since I stay close to Miyapur metro station. Now comes the real incident..
As I got down at Miyapur metro station it was about 11.30 PM and Since I am not new to drinking, I am quite ok in my physical condition and I slowly started walking after coming out. Since it was the last train to Miyapur not many people were there. As I walked towards the bus shelter, I saw a young lady sitting all alone on one of the benches to the left. I wondered what she was doing all alone at this late hour or probably waiting for someone to come on this last trip of the train. As I crossed the lady, suddenly she rose from the bench and started speaking to me.. ‘Sir, do you need any help? I was rather surprised to hear her words. What help should I require from a lone lady at this hour? I stopped my steps and started observing the lady closely.. she was young and could be in her teens, wearing punjabi dress. Medium coloured complexion. Looked skinny and malnourished. Her eyes looked deep with a kind of sorrow-filled look. I stopped and replied her.. who are you and why do you think I need your help? She became silent and stared at me blankly. I sensed something was amiss.. I repeated with harsh voice.. ‘who are you and what do you need from me’ Within seconds, her eyes were filled with tears and she started looking down at the ground instead of looking at me. I felt pity on her and slowly asked her what is the matter. Looking at my mellowed tone, after a while, she could muster some courage and slowly said.. ‘Sir, I thought if you require anything from me.. I would do it.. anything you wish.. I badly need some money’ Then I understood the point. She is a kind of hooker. But I have not heard of any such activities in that area and moreover she does not appear to be such kind of a girl. Slowly I took her to the bus shelter and asked her to sit down. With hesitation, she sat and looked at me with scared look. During the next ten minutes, what I understood from her is... she has no father, mother works as maid in some houses and earns something to pull the family. Since this girl is very good from her childhood in studies, people helped her to join Intermediate in some corporate college and she is into second year MPC. Now, the final instalment fee of about Rs. 7000 is due for payment without which the college authorities won’t permit her to appear for exams. She has about Rs 2000 with her. Her mother went to another town due to sudden death of some close relative. Her attempts to get the money from neighbours did not borne fruit. Tomorrow is the last day for payment. She does not want to become bad and character-less girl in the eyes of known circles for approaching with her offer. Hence, she thought approaching a stranger with offer of surrendering herself to get the required money. I am the first person to whom she made an attempt mustering some courage, after letting many people go.
My heart was melting after hearing her story. I am not such a crooked or sex-starved person to take advantage of a young girl’s financial needs. To know the genuineness of her version, I cross-checked her with several intelligent questions and for every one of my questions, the reply was straight and very convincing. So I concluded there is no way she is lying. I asked what will she do for further requirements once she tides over the present crisis.. she said she won’t be able to pursue further studies and may join some employment and take up degree under correspondence course depending on the availability of funds. She would not have resorted to this kind of thing but for the urgency of funds. All the while she was addressing me as Sir.. I felt real pity on her but understood and appreciated her dire necessity and the essence of time. However, that cannot be a justification for selling one’s body. I counselled her that despite the emergent requirement of money, the moment she sells her body, she will not be able to answer her own conscience in future and that thing will haunt her for life. If not this year, let the studies be completed next year. She was totally silent and unable to utter any words. As the realisation of her proposed action dawned upon her, she went into remorse mode and started weeping. I consoled her and advised her to go home immediately from here. I searched inside my pocket for available money. Hardly there were Rs 2000. I took her to the nearest ATM and drawn Rs. 10000 and put into her hands. All the while she was unable to digest the things that a stranger can give such money without expecting anything in return. But, I don’t consider that to be a great thing. Rs 10000 though sizable amount, but I can afford to spend that amount of money for a cause. After putting money into her hands, I simply started walking towards my home. I did not even ask her the name and where do they live. While all this was happening my wife called twice where were you.. I said the train is delayed and I will reach in the next half an hour. Because of this episode, the effect of booze has totally gone out of my mind and body and I felt I lost the fizz. However, after reaching home, I slept with deep sense of satisfaction of helping a needy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

nifty